Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Don't Sleep in this Room

This happened a few years back on a new year's day. All night long I had been out with my friends ; when I came home in the morning I just collapsed on my bed. Then I had a dream in which I was aware I was dreaming. In it I was walking home and somehow all around me, on things like telephone poles and walls, I saw posters being put up, with such words as “Value your life,” and “No use crying over spilt milk,” in black calligraphic writing. The street I was walking on was totally deserted and moreover something that looked like blood was splattered all over the place. I was thinking, god this is some creepy dream! I kept walking and was nearly home when my mother woke me up. She had a very serious look on her face and said, “Don’t sleep in this room.” “Why?” I asked. She replied, “Right now they have a hotoke-sama (the dead) lying right above your room (we lived in an apartment block). ” I wondered if that was why I had a strange dream. Afterwards when we were eating osechi (a new year’s dish) my father uttered, “It was a suicide apparently. He jumped from a building.” When I heard that I was really spooked. Did he regret his rash action after he had jumped?

No comments: